- Brand Name:Sparkling Ice
- Location: Preston, Washington 98050
- Country: US
- Industry Types: Manufacturer
- Categories: Other
- Beverages: Non-Alcoholic Beverages
- Employment Type: Full-Time
- Reports to: Director of R&D
- # of Direct Reports: None
- Benefits: Health Insurance, Retirement Plan
Talking Rain is looking for passionate, creative, energetic and collaborative individuals to join a team that develops great tasting beverages. We are looking for people that can bring fresh ideas and new perspectives to our company.
The Research and Development Engineer is responsible for pilot process development, scale-up, prototyping, and procedure development. The position is a part of the innovation branch of R&D and involves finding and implementing equipment/tools, processes, and best practices to enhance the capabilities of the commercial scale-up across the Product Development process.
- Applies engineering best practices to lead the design and development of innovative packaging, beverages, and processes.
- Benchmarking and testing competitive products and packaging to gain relevant information that can be applied to product development.
- Lead technical expertise on R&D projects and technical oversight of start-ups and ongoing technical service to operations.
- Translate functional needs into specifications for packaging and beverages.
- Oversee development of packaging specifications, in-process control points and establish testing requirements and operating guidelines.
- Ensures quality in a product’s design for usability, reliability, functionality, marketability, and manufacturability.
- Supports, coordinates, and conducts trial and start of up of new and exploratory products and packaging.
- Assures all activities in compliance with established safety standards and Good Manufacturing Procedures (GMP).
- Drives the development and commercial implementation efforts for key process and packaging projects.
- Influence project direction by providing technical input through the planning and decision making process.
- Plans and tracks project budgets including capital and expense requirements.
- Researches new processes or materials processing technologies for possible new product development.
- Work with supplier network to deliver meaningful impact to the company (cost reduction, innovations, etc.)
- Begin to deliver concepts to Talking Rain to drive additional results (cost savings, innovation, etc.) rather than just executing projects that are given.
- Supports Talking Rain’s Technology strategies by documenting data and independent, unique and patentable ideas that results from experimentations and concept generation activities.
- Gather any legal documents, including laws, regulations and patents, which are necessary for determining the project’s feasibility.
- Ensure food safety, quality, and SQF practices are followed at all times, notifying immediate supervisor of any food safety and/or quality issues.
- Complete other responsibilities as assigned.
Interaction and Environment
Reports to: Director of R&D
Direct Reports: None
- Excellent communicator who can express ideas clearly and concisely both verbally and in written form. Ability to adapt style, vocabulary, and content to the audience, with effective active listening skills.
- Ability to build and foster relationships internally and externally, at all levels.
- A high degree of flexibility and the ability to work effectively across multiple departments and/or business units.
- Ability to take initiative and prioritize tasks in a fast paced environment, requiring the ability to appropriately manage your time, often while multitasking.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to multitask and work independently with precise detail and follow-up reporting.
- Excellent time management and organizational skills, balancing multiple priorities under high-pressure.
- Self-motivated problem solver, adept at troubleshooting and resolving problems.
Education & Experience
- Bachelor or Master’s degree in food engineering, mechanical engineering, biomedical engineering, or related engineering discipline.
- A minimum of 3 years of relevant experience in product design and development with a solid understanding of the product lifecycle and product design in CPG industry.
- Experience directly applying DOE, statistical methods, and Geometric Dimensioning & Tolerancing (GD&T).
- An understanding of technical principles, theories and concepts in the field of product development desirable. General knowledge of related disciplines.
- Demonstrated knowledge of applied mechanical engineering in product design and evaluation desirable but not a must.
- Strong aptitude for hands-on engineering testing and experimentation in a lab/shop environment.
- Proficient with the Microsoft Office suite.
about TalkingRain Beverage Company
Founded in 1987 in Seattle, Washington, Talking Rain Beverage Company is an industry leader when it comes to creating and promoting brands using innovative ingredients and ideas.
Our innovative thinking carries over into the Sparkling Ice® beverage line, as we continue to devote extensive time in research and development to perfect the brand experience. Bold taste and bold refreshment, have made Sparkling Ice flavored water one of the fastest-growing non-alcoholic beverages in the country, and we were recently honored as Beverage World’s 2014 Liquid Refreshment Company of the Year.
Talking Rain has been committed to giving back to the community and partnering with cause related organizations since we first opened our doors in 1987 – supporting hundreds of nonprofits across the country.